How to Treat Hyperhidrosis Shared by a Plastic Surgeon
Sweating is a natural bodily function that helps cool people down. Unfortunately, the body can sometimes produce more sweat than is necessary to cool the body. When this occurs, hyperhidrosis, a condition marked by excessive sweating, is most likely present. There are a few different treatment options that hyperhidrosis patients should consider:
- Antiperspirants. The quickest way to prohibit excessive sweating is by using an antiperspirant. The aluminum salts contained in them creates a plug that blocks sweating. If your traditional over-the-counter antiperspirant does not work for you, a doctor can prescribe one for you.
- Botulinum toxin. If antiperspirants are not working for you, there are medical treatments that can be administered. One of which is botulinum toxin or Botox. Typically, you have probably heard that Botox is used to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, but did you know that it is FDA-approved to treat excessive sweating? Botox works to prohibit the release of a chemical that tells the sweat glands to turn on. In order for the results to last for about a year, you will need to have many injections.
- Anticholinergic drugs. If you would prefer a medication instead of an injection, anticholinergic drugs can be prescribed to you. The medication is not the right option for everyone because of the side effects it can potentially lead to. These side effects include blurred vision, urinary problems, and heart palpitations.
- Surgery. If all of the other options listed above do not work for you, surgery can be an option. Plastic surgeons can perform surgery to reduce excessive sweating.
- Wear lightweight clothing. While you are undergoing treatment for hyperhidrosis, you can also take steps to minimize the impact of sweating. One option you can utilize is wearing lightweight, breathable clothing.
- Use antibacterial soap daily. If you have hyperhidrosis, it is highly recommended that you take a shower daily. Using an antibacterial soap can help reduce the odor and bacteria that inhabits your sweaty skin.
Northeastern Plastic Surgery understands your desire for a beautiful, youthful looking body and facial appearance. We utilize the latest plastic surgery techniques to perform a variety of surgical procedures. Dr. Fodero and the staff are very friendly, helpful, and available to answer any questions you may have about the procedures we offer. We strive to ensure that your experience with us is positive. Please contact us today to learn more about the services we offer.